Tuesday, 17 May 2011

How to get your BIR ID: Solving Philippines passport ID issues.

As outlined in the previous post my Fiancée had some difficulties in meeting the ID requirements for her Philippines passport application.

The key issue was that she had no digitized government ID and she either wasn’t eligible for or it would simply take too long to get them.
We weren’t sure what to do until we stumbled across some information on the Bureau of Inland Revenue (BIR) website.
It seems that some time ago some legislation was passed enabling anyone who needed to transact with the Philippines DFA (or other government departments) to obtain a Tax Identification Number (TIN).
From the BIR website (link provided in the side bar):
PERSONS REGISTERING UNDER E.O. 98 (securing a TIN to be able to transact with any government office, e.g. LTO, NBI, DFA, etc.)
Tax Form
BIR Form 1904 - Application for Registration of One Time Taxpayer And Persons Registering Under EO 98 (securing a TIN to be able to transact with any government office)
Documentary Requirements
-Birth certificate or any valid identification showing name, address and birth date of the applicant

- Accomplish BIR Form 1904 and submit the same, together with the required attachments, to the Revenue District Office having jurisdiction over residence of the applicant.”

Once you have your TIN, it’s a relatively simple matter to then get your BIR ID.
To get your TIN:
1)      Attend your local BIR office with your birth certificate.
2)      Complete and submit form 1904
3)      Receive your TIN
To get your BIR ID
1)      Once in possession of your TIN make a booking for your ID application
2)      Addend you local BIR office  at the appointed time
3)      Complete relevant paperwork and undergo “biometrics” capture (fingerprints etc) All done…you now have a BIR ID
Processing time on the card may vary, so while you may be able to collect you card on the day, you may also have to re-attend to collect once ready.
It’s also worth noting that the BIR agents (like those at the DFA) don’t always seem to be too familiar with their own regulations.
The first time my Fiancée attempted get her ID she was told “No they are only for tax payers”…..and….”You need your passport as ID first to get your BIR ID”
Both of these statements were incorrect. The only ID you need to get you TIN (then BIR ID) is your birth certificate, and under E.O. 98 any citizen can get a TIN (and BIR ID) in order to transact with another government department.
When my Fiancée promptly returned with a copy of the E.O. 98 guidelines from the BIR’s own website the same agent was happy to assist her.
So ID problems resolved!
Lonely Planet Philippines (Country Travel Guide)

Basic Tagalog for Foreigners and Non-Tagalogs (Tuttle Language Library)

Stumble it !


  1. Well, we can share our experiences. Good luck!

  2. Amazing how often things aren't known, isn't it? I'm catching up on your situation, hence second post!

    We are facing a similar situation at the moment. The Australian High Commission in a third country has my family's passports, but no-one seems to know how we arrange to get the passports back to my family! The Australian HC will not arrange it, and we can't arrange it from my husband's location. I'm continuing that battle tomorrow.